Saturday, October 02, 2010

Thinking about Retiring


As much as I love my job, and as young as I am, yet I can’t help but turn a longing eye towards the retirement years. I recently added up the hours in my typical week schedule and came to the conclusion that I would have over 90 hours a week more of leisure time than I do now!

Retirement, after all, means you’re not working anymore, which currently takes up roughly 45 hours of my time each week; and, I work a second full-time job, called being a parent, which currently takes up roughly 46 hours of my time each week (see breakout below in italics). Not having either set of responsibilities frees up the equivalent of 13 hours each day! And this doesn’t even account for the fact that I’ll need less sleep in my older age than the 49 hours a week I currently get. That’s a heck of a lot of time for something, or for nothing at all.

Ah, but who am I kidding: I so enjoy working that it’s likely I’ll never retire. Still, here’s hoping I’ll be able to squeeze in a hobby or two by the time I reach that stage in life.

• M-F 4a-6a me 6a-8:30a kids 8:30a-5:30p work 5:30p-7p kids 7p-9p me 9p-4a sleep
• Sa-Su 4a-6a me 6a-7p kids 7p-9p me 9p-4a sleep
• Sleep Time 49 hr Kid Time 46 hr Work Time 45 hr Me Time 28 hr

No comments: