Friday, November 18, 2022

Run For Your Life


We haven't yet landed a longer-term renter for our Ocean City unit during this first off-season as owners, which is fine as I assume that the place will often be empty during the non-summer months. As a new beach house owner, and given our place is only an hour away, I've felt more comfortable checking in on the place on a monthly basis to make sure all ok (and to monitor a few minor cosmetic issues I'm having done). 

So far I've brought the family out for overnight weekend stays in September, October, and November, and the unit has been fine and we've enjoyed the family time. As we get deeper into the season, there's less to do, since it's colder out and fewer things open. It's still nice to have a getaway, and to be together for it.

Our most recent trip came at the end of a very long and tiring week. As if the weight of my work world wasn't enough to bear, we also had some heavy issues to work through with our kids that week. To compound matters, it was Daylight Savings Time weekend, and despite gaining an hour I actually lost an hour of sleep because Asher woke up early and refused to go back to sleep, leaving me with a buzzing headache and a twitchy eyelid.

Later that morning, right as the sun was starting to rise and as has been my habit when we do these weekend getaways, I went for a brief run on the boardwalk. And let me tell you, it was invigorating. The problems of the world do not go away when you go on a brisk run, but it does clear your head to take in the sights, sounds, and smells of the ocean for a few minutes. There will be days when things are even heavier and the temps are even colder, but give me that run and I will feel alive and hopeful once again.

No comments: