Friday, October 30, 2015

Busy Bees

When I was in high school I kept myself pretty busy.  I was a straight A student so was hitting the books pretty hard.  But I was also on the basketball team, very active in speech and debate and FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America), and in leadership in a local Taiwanese youth group.  I'm glad for these experiences, because they have helped shaped who I am and also gave me good experience in juggling.

Fast forward to the present, and Aaron and Jada are beginning to rival my calendar.  They both have two major extra-curricular activities - karate and swimming for Aaron, choir and gymnastics for Jada - and in both cases, those activities are starting to get more serious in terms of time and effort commitment.  Jada is also doing violin through school, which has afforded her lots of other exposure, such as trying out for the school music or performing before a prominent Penn group.

It may seem premature and even extreme for a 10-year-old and 8-year-old to keep personal calendars.  But it's all things they enjoy, and outside of the activities themselves I think the responsibility levels that they require are something they take pride in being able to bear.  I'm really proud of the people they're becoming, and impressed with their ability to give these activities their all in the midst of a growing school load.

No comments: