Monday, August 30, 2010

Dispatches from the Home Front - August 29

It's good to sleep in. Well, 6:30 counts as sleeping in for me these days. Jada arrives in my room at 6 and obediently commences playing and watching TV without bothering me, affording me that luxurious additional 30 minutes of shut-eye. She continues doing her thing while I pray, read my Bible, do push-ups and sit-ups, and check my email. We have breakfast, spend some time with my mom, and then head out to church.

I hadn't been back in several years to the place where I became a Christian, so it was great to get reacquainted with old familiar faces. Jada enjoyed both the play area and the Sunday School class where she spent her morning, while I got a nice bonus of seeing a close friend who was also in town and who was serving as the guest preacher for the day.

We went straight from there to south of San Jose to Gilroy, where one of my closest high school friends bought a house a few years back. They have found their neighborhood just great for their three kids, and I can see why: Jada immediately joined in with them and other kids from the block in frolicking on lawns, sidewalks, and backyards. It was a quintessential suburban existence, something completely foreign to Jada, and she jumped right in on it.

We left from there and made our way back to our neck of the woods, stopping in on my cousin's house so Jada could play with his kids. Then we made our way home for dinner together with everyone - my dad bought lots of strawberries for Jada - and shortly thereafter, bedtime beckoned.

No comments: