Woodland seeks a new Director of Children, Youth, and Family (CYF) Ministries. This position is currently constituted as a 6-12 month volunteer internship for 15 hours per week, with the possibility of renewal upon successful completion and positive reviews. For more information, to obtain a full position description, or to submit a resume and cover letter, please contact Lee Huang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Title: Director of Children, Youth, and Family (CYF) Ministries
Hours per Week: 15
Start Date: Negotiable
Woodland Presbyterian Church is a multi-ethnic, multi-generational church located in an urban setting at the intersection of campuses and community. We are a PC-USA congregation that was first formed in the 1860’s. Our Sunday morning worship service typically draws 100-150 worshippers, including 15-30 children. We believe that children, youth, and families are all important members of the family of God, and therefore their spiritual growth is an integral part of the overall health of the church and its mission to the neighborhood around us.
The Director of Children, Youth, and Family (CYF) Ministries works in collaboration with other staff, Session, and volunteers from the congregation towards that end. This position is currently constituted as a 6-12 month volunteer internship, with the possibility of renewal upon successful completion and positive reviews.
• Connect the work of CYF to Woodland’s larger work, and communicate that work to congregants and to other stakeholders
• Serve as a public face, point person, and final decision-maker for all aspects of CYF
• Represent CYF and its agenda via any interfaces with internal (worship, building and property, outreach, education) and external (partners, community, Presbytery) entities [note: as time is limited, it is not intended that undue meeting attendance would be required, and in fact we discourage getting bogged down in this way]
Recruit, Train, and Disciple Members of the Congregation into CYF Ministry
• Encourage those with a heart for children and family ministries to get involved
• Recruit and support volunteer leaders, and support them in recruiting and supporting other volunteers
• Direct the training of volunteers in teaching and in working with children
• Explore and supervise youth ministry initiatives
• Supervise volunteers in the following programmatic activities and age groups:
Sunday School for infants (0 to18 months) and toddlers (18 months to 4 years) during the sermon portion of Sunday morning worship
A variety of activities for children (4 years to 12 years) and teens (13 years to 18 years)
One-week Vacation Bible School summer camp
Other offerings as mutually determined with staff and Session (examples: Christmas pageant, service opportunities, missions trips)
• Establish relationships with parents and be sensitive to their needs and concerns
• Become an active member of Woodland and participate in Worship service periodically as a member of the ministry staff, for purposes of promoting and forwarding the ministry of CYF
• Explore potential new youth ministry initiatives
• Commit to pray regularly for CYF leaders and volunteers, children, and families
• Attend weekly staff meetings
• File a quarterly report of past and future activities to Session
• Develop and enforce policies relating to all aspects of CYF ministries. For example, ensuring that the appropriate back ground checks are carried out on all volunteers working with children
• Work with volunteer leaders to together accomplish the following:
Develop protocols for greeting new families, following up on absences, etc.
Develop registration procedures for Sunday School, etc.
Develop and monitor CYF portion of the church’s budget
Publish seasonal and monthly calendars with details of CYF events, activities, and personnel
Create a brochure or information sheet outlining Woodland’s various CYF ministries to be given to parents and visitors with children
• Design and implement special programs throughout the year to foster community and spiritual growth
Oversight and Support:
The Director of CYF Ministries will report to the Head of Staff and will attend weekly Staff Meetings.
The Session will ensure that the following support mechanisms are in place so that Employee is in the best position possible to serve in a way that is fulfilling to her and productive for the church:
a) inclusion in a staff team in which everyone's position description is known to one another so that staff members can better support and collaborate with one another,
b) 1-2 deacons assigned to pray for and support Employee in her work and to help advocate for the work of CYF in the broader work of the church,
c) 6-month check-in sessions with the Personnel Team for purposes of receiving encouragement and advice as well as together clarifying the position description going forward.
Consideration will be given to funding and enabling various professional development avenues, such as books and conferences. Upon completion of internship, salary and vacation options are negotiable.
Please submit cover letter and resume to Lee Huang, Personnel Team at email@example.com (email), fax (215 386-1725), or mail (42nd and Pine Streets, Philadelphia PA 19104). We will try to answer all inquiries and will contact you if we would like to set up an interview.