Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Big Nap

After Saturday's excellent journey to New York, and with Amy still needing to hunker down with the books, I had another full day planned for Jada and me for Sunday, to get us out of the house and into the world.  First, I was going to run us quickly to the dollar store to buy Christmas items.  Then, we'd attend our church's morning service.  After lunch and a nap, I was going to walk her down the street to the local museum's free annual multicultural celebration.  After dinner and a bath, Jada'd be ready for bed, and I could enjoy the rest of my evening, content that she'd had a full day and Amy'd had space to do her stuff.

Except that when I rousted Jada out of bed that morning, she had a runny nose and sleepy eyes.  I thought about keeping her away from church, lest she infect the other toddlers in the nursery, but opted to give it a go.  But when, during the service and before the time we bring our kids to the various classrooms, she was super clingy and still coughing and sneezing up a storm, I decided we ought to head home.  She wasn't full-blown sick, but neither was she going to go for me leaving her in the toddler nursery. 

So we headed home.  But a little antsy once we got there, I decided to make that run to the dollar store, and Jada did well in the car and in the store.  By the time we got home for lunch, though, she was crumbling.  So Amy gave her some cold medicine and put her in her crib for her nap. 

An hour later, Jada was still making noises and even yelped out a few times, to the point that I was about to concede that a nap wasn't happening and that I'd have to just bum around the house with her for the rest of the day.  But eventually she did get quiet . . . and four hours later, woke up from what had to have been a very satisfying nap.  I guess I really did run her ragged in New York the day before. 

She was still phlegmy but her spirits were much higher - it's funny how naps are like reset buttons.  We missed that museum event, but I wasn't regretful.  It was pretty obvious what our little bon-bon needed that afternoon was a big nap. 
Post a Comment