Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Jada, Big Sis

The upcoming arrival of a little brother for Jada has me worried that we'll inevitably have to sacrifice some of the time and energy we currently devote to her to our new little one.  This worries me, for not only will she likely have less of us but, with the addition of another recipient of our love and attention, she'll likely need more of us.  And I dread her having to go through that.

But I was reminded earlier this week that all of that potential downside is balanced by a very important potential upside: the joy and growth that comes from being a big sibling.  It's something I've had the privilege of experiencing, starting at age 5 when my little sister was born.  And it's something Jada will get to experience soon.  It may take her some time to figure this all out, but soon enough she'll love the little baby just as much as we do.  She'll have someone small to play with, to look out for, to be siblings with.  And while she'll lose her status as our only child, she'll never lose her status as the big sister. 

Amy and I are still going to try hard to make sure Jada receives time and attention from us.  But I think I'm going to worry less that this transition will be all bad for her.  She may not know it yet, but she's going to be a big sis, and I have a feeling she's going to like it a lot. 


1 comment:

jenny said...

perhaps since jada spent time in an orphanage, she'll actually like having another kid around...