Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Gotcha

 


Eighteen years ago today we became parents when we met Jada for the first time in China at age 7 1/2 months. Those early days feel so distant, adapting to a new sleep schedule and learning how to change diapers and figuring out how to get food into this tiny little thing. 

Jada has long tired of my telling the story of how, two days into being a dad, she threw up all over my face and I (a normally squeamish fellow) cared not for the barf but only for her wellbeing. It was a literal baptism into parenthood, to worry more for someone else's wellbeing than your own. 

I will add it is a worry that has continued to this day, even and especially as I root for her from the distance that is appropriate for a young adult who is forging her own path. She has left the nest but will always be our baby. Happy Gotcha Day to our Jerds!

No comments: