Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Getting College Ready

I know I've just recently posted about this here, but here I am again to say how thankful I am for the academic rigor Jada is subject to at her high school.  She may not like getting her butt kicked in the classroom, but I am here for it.

Last week, I attended parent-teacher conferences and was able to connect with all but two of her teachers.  Besides universally applauding Jada's work ethic and good behavior, the recurring theme was how hard the teachers work the students. 

And it only intensifies from here: as Jada will have occasion to test into some honors classes and hopefully put herself on course to take lots of Advanced Placement (AP) classes (a huge point of emphasis I've made with her), the academic level will not only be college prep but essentially approximate college level rigor.  Indeed, more than one of Jada's teachers all but said that by junior and senior year, they run their classrooms at an amount of work and level of complexity that you'd see at a university. 

In a world where grade inflation is rampant, Central is kind of the opposite.  Jada has mostly B's, and some low B's at that, but one teacher told me an 82 at Central is the equivalent of a 96 at other schools in the region.  Music to my ears.  Because while "low" grades might jeopardize her ability to get into an elite school, being battle-tested in the classroom will serve her well in allowing her thrive once she gets to whatever campus she ends up at.  And that makes this Tiger Dad really happy.

No comments: