Monday, September 26, 2016

College Kids

Before we moved to the Bay Area in 1976, I spent the first three years of my life in Seattle.  My dad was getting his PhD at the University of Washington, and we lived in a house so close to campus that long after we left the school bought the property.  (Long after that, the whole area got razed for a mega-complex.) I obviously don't remember those times, but through stories and pictures I know that walking onto and puttering around campus was not an uncommon pastime for me and my parents.

Fast-forward to the present, and I now live within shouting distance of a major research university, the University of Pennsylvania.  And we use the campus like my parents did with me, as an extended front yard for our kids.  Further, I do a lot of work for universities around the country, and so my kids have their fair share and then some of college T-shirts, hats, and hoodies.  It's part of my job when I work for college clients to talk up the many benefits of living near a school, and it's not a hard case for me to make, since I live it.  I guess I've been living it since the beginning. 


No comments: