Thursday, July 02, 2015

Learning to Sleep Through the Night

Asher is a pretty good sleeper but he is still a baby so that assessment is graded on a curve.  Amy has been able to get him stuffed to the gills at around 10 at night such that he doesn't wake up until 3 or so.  If I'm in bed by 8 and asleep by 9 (which I try to be, unless I have a work function), then that means I'm getting about 6 hours of sleep, which is less than I need but more than I feared I might have to live with.  So I have no reason to complain, and in fact those early morning hours with Asher are precious.

Still, it will be nice when he really learns to sleep through the night, and the goal is to take steps in that direction every week.  Well, it seems we are making progress.  Last night, I was woken up by Asher at around 1:30, which is earlier than usual.  Also unusual was that instead of being woken up by crying I was woken up by babbling.  The babbling went on for several minutes, but by the time I got out of bed and shook the cobwebs out of my head, it had stopped.  So I stopped.  And waited.  And waited.  And nothing.

I ended up using the time to catch up on work (I am in a brutally busy stretch of work right now), and didn't hear a peep from Asher until well after his usual wake-up time.  This is very promising, not only that he can stretch his sleep past 3 but that he can wake up in the middle of the night and fall back asleep.  There may be light at the end of this long tunnel after all.  After all, although I haven't had very many bad nights of sleep since Asher was born, nor have I had any really good nights of sleep either.  It will be nice to get to that phase, and it is comforting that we are getting closer.

No comments: