Monday, July 11, 2011

Relaxing on the Weekend


Amy and I both work fairly crazy jobs (her much more so than me), and we are fairly strong introverts (her much more so than me), so when we get to the weekend, it's nice to have some peace and quiet and solitude. Easier said than done with two small and rambunctious kids.

Now that they're 6 and 4, though, Jada and Aaron are becoming easier weekend companions. When I take them downtown to give Amy the house to herself, it's not too hard to drag them all around. And when we all lay low at home, like we did this past weekend, they're pretty good as well. After lunch, we'll do "room time," which is just code word for "I don't care what you do, just don't make any noises," but does not include watching TV. I tend towards reading or crossword puzzles, while the kids will look at books or draw. And when I get drowsy, the kids know they're allowed to watch TV so long as they don't bother me. That's called "win win."

The weekends are still not nearly as relaxing as Amy and I wish they could be. But we could do worse.

No comments: