Saturday, September 12, 2009

Forever Sounds like Four 9’s





Earlier this week was September 9, or 9/9/09, an auspicious date in the Chinese-speaking world. Because the number 9 in Mandarin sounds similar to the word “forever,” September 9 is a particularly popular day to get married, 9/9/09 even more so.

I’ll do it one better. Ten years ago, I proposed to Amy on September 9, or 9/9/99. Four 9’s is as good as it gets for the next 100 years. I’m pretty sure I didn’t say, “How does ‘forever’ sound,” when I proposed – in fact, I’m pretty sure I butchered whatever I did say – but the sentiment of “forever” was there nonetheless.

And, ten years later, through thick and not a little thin, for better and not a little worse, we’re still together. I’m not sure I would wish for anyone else or even for ourselves what we have had to bear during that time; but I am sure, though I don’t know all of the “why,” that God has meant it for good. Happy “anniversary of being engaged” to my beb, and here’s to “forever” more years of being together.

No comments: