Monday, March 23, 2009

Two Rude Awakenings


Sometimes parenthood is just downright cruel, especially when it comes to sleep - or should I say, the lack of it. Compounding matters for me this weekend were two rude awakenings.

I had stayed up later than usual the night before (Saturday), and so had in my mind that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I hit "snooze" and slept in a bit. Of course, my cell phone, which is normally by my bedside to serve as a first alarm, was on my desk in the next room over instead. Between having to get out of bed and turn it off, and then having to deal with my second alarm, a clock radio back in my bedroom, I was up at the usual hour and ready to start my day.

This of course made my usual Sunday morning nap all the more necessary. Sure enough, I shooed my kids off the couch, got comfy, told them to jump back on top of me to resume their TV watching, and was soon asleep. I was awoken, as if on cue in time to get ready for church, by Aaron waving his butt in my face. And, let's just say it wasn't the sight but the smell that rousted me from a dead sleep. (I'm telling you, an ambient alarm clock that goes from fragrant smells to odious ones the more you hit the snooze button would be a winner of a product.)

Thankfully, the kids behaved in the afternoon and dutifully went to "room time," allowing me one more chance at sleep, which I eagerly took. To heck with house errands and work to-do's piling up, especially after two rude awakenings.

No comments: