Sunday, October 21, 2007

No Ducks, Just Views

I bought a loaf of bread at the grocery store yesterday and when I came home, Amy discovered that the bag had a really big hole in it. So rather than chance eating it, or (God forbid that I waste $1.25 by) throwing it out, I decided this would be a perfectly acceptable reason to take the kids to Valley Green on Forbidden Drive in Fairmount Park to feed the ducks. It's one of my very favorite places in the whole wide world, symbolizing for me natural beauty and peaceful getaways and contemplative retreats. I even proposed to Amy here. I used to bike there all the time, and when I wasn't taking in the gorgeous views in isolated spots, I'd go to where the ducks were and pretend to be a stand-up comic, because the ducks always laughed at my jokes.

So we packed the loaf of bread and headed out to feed the ducks. Only a big tree blocked Lincoln Drive, and not knowing the area that well by car, I couldn't find my way to Valley Green. Instead, we peeled off to another parking area and walked around for a bit, snapping a few pics along the way. So the ducks will have to wait for another weekend. But the views we captured today. What a wonderful spot of nature in the middle of urban Philadelphia - even accounting for horrid traffic on account of the downed tree, we were out of the house for less than an hour and a half. We'll definitely have to go back; that $1.25 loaf just simply must get put to use.







No comments: