Sunday, June 10, 2007

One on One

In football or basketball, a common strategy is to get your best
playmaker isolated in a one-on-one situation, where they can be more
successful than when they have to man up against multiple defenders.
I have a feeling it's going to be a common strategy in the Huang
household, too. Aaron is quite a handful, because he's so young and
because he's very much about being held. But by himself, as long as
you have time and energy, he's relatively easy going. And of course,
Jada couldn't be easier as a kid, in terms of being well-behaved and
independent.

But when you have to watch them together, you can feel more
outnumbered than just two on one. I naively told Amy I'd handle the
two so she could catch an uninterrupted nap. Two harrowing hours
later, I had cleaned diarrhea out of a crib, done a load of wash, and
bathed both Aaron and Jada, with Aaron crying every five minutes and
even Jada getting a few good howls in there. Anything that required
more than one arm simply had to wait until some distant future time,
since Aaron insisted on being held 95% of the time. I grew
increasingly thankful that my sister would be with us for much of the
rest of the month, seeing as that while I'll be taking some days off
of work, the days I do go in Amy'll be playing one on two all day.

So it seems we'll be doing what we can to man up, pick our spots to go
one on two so the other adult can catch a breath, and lean heavily on
anybody who so much as hints at being interested in helping play
defense. Hey, if it works in football and basketball, it makes sense
to me.

No comments: