Friday, June 29, 2007

The Best Laid Plans

It had been a grueling week at work, so I was looking forward to three days with the kids, even though that can be just as grueling if not more so.  I was hoping to get things started well, by taking them to the zoo to give Amy the house to herself for the morning, as I'd done the last two Fridays.  It had worked out those two times in terms of Aaron's feeding schedule, because I had been able to get him a bottle right before he left, which kept his shrieking at bay until we got back from the zoo.

But this morning, he bumped his head on our treadmill, leading to a morning of jagged fussiness.  Add to that the rain and Amy's phone pooping out unexpectedly, and my carefully laid plans went out the window, much to my dismay.  I ended up filling the kiddie pool and watching Jada, while Amy tried her best to console Aaron. 

The experienced parent will shake his or her head knowingly, that plans must be held loosely when it comes to a two-year-old and a five-month-old.  It's a fact of life I'm still learning.

No comments: