Thursday, February 15, 2007

So Much Bigger

Earlier this week, I was awaken by an unfamiliar sound: Jada crying in
the middle of the night. Long enough and and in a distressing enough
way that I decided to investigate. (Also, I wasn't feeling well and
hadn't been able to fall into a deep sleep.)

She was sitting up in her crib, coughing and crying and gasping. I
tried to calm her with calm words and calm pats on the head, but to no
avail. So I scooped her out of her crib and sat with her in the
rocking chair. She calmed down almost immediately.

We sat together in the rocking chair for probably one minute. But it
was long enough to take me back to times in the way past when I'd
gotten her in the middle of the night. It had been so long that I
wouldn't be surprised if it was over a year ago. And, holding her
now, I marveled at how much bigger she was now than last I'd had to do
this.

I remade her bed, dropped her back in, and gave her a book to look at.
We exchanged "I love you's" and I left her to read herself back to
sleep, smiling to myself about how big of a girl our bon bon has
become.

No comments: