Monday, October 30, 2006

Happy

I took Jada to "Boo at the Zoo" last weekend and delighted in her
squeals, as she scampered around and pointed at animals and played
carnival games. I thought to myself, "Boy, she is a happy kid!" But
then I thought, "Well, why wouldn't she? She's in a zoo, dressed up
for Halloween, in the midst of hundreds of kids also dressed up for
Halloween . . . does it get any better than this for a toddler?"

Indeed, one of the biggest prayers Amy and I prayed when we were
waiting to meet Jada was that she would have a happy childhood. That
she would know that we love and value her, and take care of her needs
and worries in such a way that she could be free to just be a kid.
Faced as we are with so many big and scary things in this world, we as
parents can forget that childhood is supposed to be fun, and that kids
are supposed to be happy. I'm just thankful to God that, so far,
Jada's gotten to have that kind of childhood and be that kind of kid.

No comments: