Monday, June 12, 2006

Lots of Talking But Still Only a Few Words

All the books say toddlers' vocabulary explodes between 15 and 18
months. Jada turned 15 months last month, so I've been waiting for
this explosion. And waiting, and waiting, and waiting. And she still
only says a few words, and doesn't seem to understand that many more.

But she sure does like to talk, speaking non-words and funny noises
that no one I know seems to be able to comprehend, and speaking them
with such authority and confidence, as if she is orating in front of a
pulpit or giving a thorough discourse on some intricate subject.

Please don't read this post and think I'm discouraged that my daughter
is "behind." I don't think she's behind, and even if she was, I
wouldn't be discouraged about it. I've just been so taken by her
chatter that I'm impatient for the day when I can actually understand
it.

No comments: