Monday, January 30, 2006

A New Appreciation for Cosby

My sister got us Season One of The Cosby Show for Christmas. I grew
up watching the show every Thursday night, as did Amy and about ten
million other thirtysomethings. Loved it, thought it the funniest
thing on air, and hadn't thought about it for almost fifteen years.

Now that we're parents, we watch Cosby with a new perspective and a
new appreciation. The show is still laugh-out-loud funny, but it's
also touching. I see how Cliff and Claire deal with finding a joint
in Theo's textbook, or supporting Vanessa in her science project
without putting too much competitive pressure on her. I see how they
are affectionate with one another and with the kids, and always make
time for family. I see how they introduce important people and
meaningful values to their children. So as we laugh, we're also
taking notes.

No comments: