Friday, October 11, 2024

Dreaming of a Magic Kingdom

 



Our new Orlando unit has rented well so far this year. Closing on the place in early summer and then having to quickly tend to some enhancements (some big, mostly small) put us behind the eight-ball in terms of getting the place booked up, but my in-town unit manager Michelle has been extraordinary in her speed, attentiveness, and keen eye. Summer can be busy in Orlando, and thanks to Michelle we had very high occupancy.

As we are squarely in a deader season and looking ahead to families starting to look at 2025 trips, I want to document a few positive characteristics I've heard so far from folks who have stayed at our place and were kind enough to leave glowing reviews (including friends of mine who I asked to train a critical eye and spare no complaint):

* I'm glad Michelle convinced me to bring in her assistant who handles decor ideas, as the subtle enhancements of bedding and color scheme have been noticed by our guests.

* Folks love that the place is a close commute to everything you want to do in Orlando, namely the Disney attractions and other theme parks. I even had Eagles fans capitalize on the fact that Davenport, where the unit is located, is barely an hour to Tampa, so they were able to catch the Birds against the Bucs in Week 4. (They were happy with the lodging but not with the game.)

* There were also a lot of rave reviews about the property itself. Any good Orlando vacation is full of going to places but also leaves room for quieter and closer activities, and the resort our unit is in is full of them: lake, multiple pools, restaurant, tennis courts, basketball, spray park.

I will try to get out there twice in 2025, once with the whole family and once to host my first annual golf weekend. I truly can't wait! I will not divulge how many of my current waking hours are spent daydreaming about this, but I will acknowledge it is a lot.

One fun thing I am looking forward to, which is different from all our other properties, is that it is decidedly a very suburban and car-oriented environment. A selling point for all our other places, which we got not only for revenue potential but personal enjoyment, was walkability. The Delaware waterfront in Philadelphia, the Adams Morgan neighborhood in Washington DC, ocean block in Ocean City NJ, and bay side in Miami Beach are all places where you don't need a car and can still easily get to restaurants, grocery stores, shopping, and scenic views.

This resort is one large gated community, so big that I think we may need to drive to stuff within the grounds. It is near impossible to get anywhere from the place to anything else. I joke with my kids that when we are there, we will be cosplaying as suburbanites, driving to the grocery store and movie theater and take-out restaurant. Not our usual or preferred way to roll, but fun to think about how it will provide a change of place.

In closing, I would be remiss if I didn't provide links to where you can book your own magical vacation. You will not be disappointed in the place or in Michelle's responsiveness.

AirBnB https://bit.ly/4eCfWlH

 

VRBO https://t.vrbo.io/aS9f0O9fbNb


No comments: