Friday, June 07, 2024

Morning Routine

 


Being a parent in the social media era is dominated by Insta-worthy vacation snaps, horror stories about bodily fluids, and poignant moments that make you laugh and cry. But dadding in the real world is pretty mundane. So I thought it would be useful to itemize for posterity what a typical morning routine looks like, just to be able to look back when I'm older and greyer and less maxed out, to remember the boring routines that made up my mornings.

Specifically, there's about a 45-minute window between my own solo morning routine (prayer, exercise, shower, put on work clothes) and getting myself and Asher off for the day in which the following tasks occur in short order:

* Put away last night's dishes

* Make sure Asher puts on his clothes, takes his meds, and does his chore (put down mats that were taken up the night before to clean the floor)

* Make him and me breakfast

* Eat my breakfast and make sure he eats his

* Make him and me lunch

* Do some morning reading practice with him

* Catch up on my own emails and social

* Do the breakfast dishes, clean table/sink

* Brush teeth

My ideal morning routine is...not this. It's probably less rushed, involving fewer tasks and more enjoyable pursuits (like say reading the paper). But I have a feeling that I'll look back on these chaotic days somewhat wistfully. We're living in the good days right now!





No comments: