Friday, April 26, 2019

April Statement of Gains and Losses

Image result for month of aprilI don't believe in astrology.  But sometimes it does feel like there is something about certain times of the year, which give a special connection to a set of dates coinciding with where our planet is in its annual lap around the sun.

April is one of those times, which has made me particularly sentimental and at times downright emotional.  I lost my best friend from college 15 years ago, and he was born in April.  Two days after that date is the anniversary of the arrival of a little baby two years ago in Memphis, who was supposed to be the latest addition to the Huang family.  We were going to name her Jordan, but we never got to meet her, because her birth mother changed her mind after she arrived, and just like that the adoption was off.




Those are the losses.  But April is a remembrance of gains too.  Amy and I tied the knot on an April 15th, so every year (after I finally finish my taxes) I can look to that date as the start of a lifelong journey.  And April 21st is the birthday of the child who ended up being the final piece to the Huang family puzzle, our beloved Asher.  So in between the tears of sadness and the pangs of loves lost, there is much to smile and be grateful about too.  What a month April is!

No comments: