Friday, January 19, 2024

Goodness Gracious

 




My parenting style is like my overall life perspective, which is that life is hard and we need to be tough in response. Work ethic, no excuses, hardship refines us, and such. 

This is a good thing for my kids to learn. It will serve them well in life. So I parent in this manner, without regret or apology. 

But. I also need to realize that, while our kids need tough love, they also need gentle grace. I don't know what it's like to be them. To have Amy and me as their parents. To be adopted. To survive the isolation and fear of COVID.

Every generation is new, and our kids' generation is no different. Theirs is a uniquely stressful upbringing. Everyone has had to deal with meanness and violence and trauma. But now is a time of unprecedented access and speed and reach. 

So I am learning to balance grit with grace. Our kids will be better for it.

No comments: