Monday, July 20, 2015

The Camp Shuttle Will Be Departing Soon

I tweeted last month that we had owned our new car for two months and had only driven it 400 miles.  Well, in the past 72 hours, I've driven it 1,000 miles:

* Friday: drove 3 hours to pick up Jada and then 3 hours home.
* Saturday: drove 3 1/2 hours to pick up Aaron and then 3 1/2 hours home.
* Sunday: drove 3 1/2 hours to drop off Jada and then 3 1/2 hours home. 

It was fun to have one-on-one car time with each child, to be with them in their happiness as they recounted fun times and to be with them in their sadness as they longed to return. 

I couldn't help but think about how their childhoods are racing along, and that someday there'll be a drop-off at college and there'll be some tears on that day.  So I tried to be present, to just soak in the moment (OK, hours and hours and miles and miles of moments).  I am sure that many many years from now, when they are grown, I will remember tousling their hair and hearing about first aid class and rocking out to the radio while cruising down the turnpike, and it will take me back to when they were 10 and 8 and my biggest worries were whether we packed enough bug spray. 

No comments: