Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Good Morning, God

http://cdn.hellogiggles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/22/Praying-Hands-over-Bible.jpgAmy and I are people of faith, and it's important to us that our children grow up in that same faith.  But we worry about whether they will make the same faith choices when they grow up.  Especially because we live such secular lives.  We go to church but most of our friends and their friends aren't Christian.  Our day-to-day consists mostly of the hustle and bustle of work and school and extra-curricular activities.  We don't do nearly as much Christian stuff, like read the Bible and sing songs together, as we used to when they were younger. 

So I was heartened to hear from Jada at dinner one night that she had started to have daily times of prayer and Bible study.  "I started doing devotions again," was the way she put it, and when I asked her what that meant, she said that every day she reads from a book that her Uncle Yung and Aunt Christy gave her, which has a story followed by some Scripture verses and some things to pray about.  We talked about how good it is to have that private time with God, and how I make my time by doing it first thing in the morning before anyone else is up.  She said on the few occasions she's up insanely early and has come downstairs, she's seen my huddled over my Bible.

I fret a lot that there's not enough in my life that shows my kids what it means to be a Christian.  So I'm glad I have at least one good habit, and that that habit is rubbing off on Jada a little and helping her to cultivate her own faith relationship.

No comments: