Friday, July 19, 2013

Missing School

http://subculture.co.uk/subculture-blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/empty_classroom1.jpgBedtime is a good time in the Huang household.  After the whirlwind of the morning, long days at school and work, and the fire drill that is dinner and showers, it's good to be together, reading stories, reading the Bible, praying, singing, and kissing. 

So it was concerning when bedtime ended last night and Jada was crying.  I asked her what was wrong and she wouldn't say.  I feared the worst.  Finally, I asked her if she preferred writing it down rather than saying it.  This seemed to work; she grabbed a pen and her journal and started writing.  I held my breath.  I looked and saw this:

"I am sad because I miss school."

I exhaled and, without making any facial expression (hard to do for me, since I have no poker face), assured her that school is indeed to be missed.  I asked her to elaborate.  She misses her teacher dearly, and her friends, and the place itself, as well as all the learning and activities that go along with it all.

To clarify, it's not that she is miserable at camp this summer.  It's just that school is such a happy place for her that she aches when she's not there.  It's not a bad place to be, from the standpoint of her parents. 

But I wanted to make sure I honored her sad feelings.  So I gave her a hug, and suggested she write a letter to her teacher.  And then we prayed and I left her to drift off to sleep.  I exhaled again.  She's going to be OK.

No comments: