Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bedtime Routines


I like that our kids are used to having a bedtime routine. For all the craziness of life with them, and for all their hyperness, there's something calming and assuring about being together at the end of the day.

I also like that Amy and I bring different things to this family routine that are important to the kids. As with most aspects of our parenting, we have divvied things up fairly distinctly: the kids look to Amy for the singing, hugging, and smooches, and to me for the smushing, reading, and prayer.

I'm sure the specific components of bedtime will evolve as the kids grow up. But I hope they'll always look forward to it like I do. (And not just because it represents being on the brink of having a brief moment of respite after a long day of responsibilities and action!)

No comments: