Thursday, November 18, 2010

Transitions


The little guy is flourishing at his new school. Aaron's teachers sing his praises, he walks with a little bounce in his step when he's there, and when he leaves a round of hugs is ordered up for everyone in the house. I can't help but smile when I see him in this element.

Alas, transitions are still hard, especially when they are abrupt. I try not to rush him, but sometimes I am running late, my internal engine is revving from being on the go all day, and Jada needs to get picked up before I incur a hefty late fee. It's delicate, because I know if I push up, I risk him unraveling, and once he unravels he's hard to re-ravel easily.

Earlier this week, we had such a situation. I came into the place like a tornado, and Aaron reacted negatively to my hurried and harried countenance. He gave me a look, went limp in his body, and next thing you know he's bolted to the ground. Sigh.

I'm not sure how I got him off the floor and into his bike seat - probably a rapid-fire combo of pleading, deep breaths, and dragging him - but suffice to say it was a reminder that transitions are still difficult for him. Hopefully I plan my schedule well enough to not put him in situations like that. But, hopefully, he also improves.

No comments: