Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Aaron, a Gentleman?


It’s a parent’s delight to have their kid’s teacher come up to you and sing your kid’s praises, so I thought I’d pass along this piece of good news. Earlier this week, when I was picking Aaron up, his teacher sidled up to me and said, “You have raised such a gentleman.” With a bemused look on my face – as if to say, “Are you sure you’re not confusing me with another dad?” – she proceeded to share the incident that caused her to reach such a conclusion.

It seems Aaron was playing with a female classmate who was trying to touch his face or something. Aaron gently tried to shoo away her advances and grazed her on the head on accident, after which he looked genuinely remorseful and was quick to say sorry.

I kept that smirk on my face – this time as if to say, “Are you sure you’re talking about Aaron?” – but thanked her for her kind words of encouragement. I then said some of my own encouraging words to Aaron to let him know how proud I was that he had been so gentlemanly to this little girl. He may still rage with the best of them, but he has a tender side, too, and I am glad to see that he can put our instruction to be a gentleman into practice out in the real world.

No comments: