Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fall Back Plans


The stereotypical response to the "Fall Back" portion of our annual Daylight Savings Time routine is to be thankful for the extra hour of sleep if you are not a parent, and to rue the fact that your kids won't get the memo if you are a parent. Here in the Huang household, our game plan involves the following adjustments:

* First, we'll keep the kids up extra late tonight. We're having friends over for a Halloween party, and Aaron and Jada will be amped up on candy, so this shouldn't be too hard.

* Second, I'm actually not fazed if the kids start to wake up an hour earlier. In fact, it may help our morning routine. They've often been getting up at 7 or later, and with all of us out the door by quarter to 8, that's often too frantic of a pace to get them dressed, fed, and ready. Waking up early gives everyone more time for things we all wish we had that extra time for in the morning, whether it's watching TV and playing with toys (if you're one of the kids), or getting the kids to help clean up (if you're one of the parents).

* Third, I may start bringing my reflectors to work so that I can wear them when Aaron and I walk home from school. I use them when I run in the morning, and by the time Aaron and I are heading home, it will be just as dark. No sense in hiding yourself from an oncoming home steered by a driver racing home.

So them's the plan. We'll see how it works out.

No comments: