Monday, February 02, 2009

Jada's First Prayer

As with many evenings, the four of us gathered last night around
Jada's kid bible to listen to stories about Jesus. When it came time
for prayer, I asked Amy if she wanted to pray. Before she could
answer, Jada said, "But I want to pray." Amy and I looked at each
other and then at Jada and said, "OK, let's have Jada pray." Sure
enough, she clasped her hands and bowed her head. Here's how her
prayer went:

"Dear Jesus . . . (mumble, mumble, mumble) . . . Granddad and Nina . .
. (mumble, mumble, mumble) . . . Uncle Matt and Aunt Nicol . . .
(mumble, mumble, mumble) . . . (lifts head up) . . . Amen!"

In fact, this is not unlike how Amy and I pray when we pray with our
kids during bedtime, albeit with a few more family member names thrown
in. Amy and I teared up at this most precious demonstration of
childlike faith, and, as Amy put it, the beautiful thought that God
understands Jada's words and mumbles and is pleased.

No comments: