Sunday, December 28, 2008

Old Year's Fatigue Compels New Year's Resolution

Pretty much eight semesters out of eight in college, I would get sick at the very end, my body simply petering out after too much stress and not enough rest. I take much better care of my body now and am probably physically stronger for it, so absent the introduction of our kids and the germs they cough on me, I get sick far less often. But here we are, at the end of an arduous 2008, and I am sick yet again.

The end of the year is somewhat of an artificial demarcation, yet remains a useful time to look back and look ahead. So it is all the easier for me to feel as though this time's cold represents the accumulation of an entire year's worth of running myself ragged; and to recommit to not running myself so ragged in the year to come.

In a few days, we'll turn the page on 2008 and welcome 2009. My work, family, church, house, civic, and other responsibilities will be no different, but I'll have a bit of a fresh start. Here's to going at a more sustainable pace in the New Year; and to getting better while I'm in 2008 so I'm at full strength to be able to enjoy it all.

No comments: