Friday, December 12, 2008

Five Below

Last weekend, I brought my kids by car out to the near burbs to meet up with a friend for lunch. We arrived 15 minutes early because we were coming straight from the aquarium, and I wasn't sure how I was going to kill the time.

Enter Five Below. A colleague of mine was one of the early investors and is currently on their board, so I was familiar with the concept but had never actually been in a store.

So it was quite serendipitous to be able to check one out, kill 15 minutes, and do some Christmas shopping all in one fell swoop. I've always been a miser, and the tough economy has me hoarding cash all the more; but I fell quickly for Five Below's charms. Big squishy rubber balls, pretty pillows with a secret pocket with a journal and pen, and huge sets of special color markers, all for under five bucks? Yes, yes, and yes.

It was nice to let the kids each pick out something, leave with a huge sack of toys, and only be 25 bucks lighter in the pocket. In that regard, it might have been good that we only had 15 minutes, or else I might have been much lighter in the pocket!

No comments: