Wednesday, December 31, 2008

BART

One of my favorite things to do when I travel is to ride the local transit. This morning, I decided to drag my kids along with me as I sought out friends in Oakland. So we parked the car in Fremont and rode BART to Fruitvale, which incidentally is a model example of what is known as transit-oriented development: mixed-use, high-density development clustered near a transit stop. That it is in a lively Hispanic neighborhood with tons of good-smelling Mexican restaurants was just an added perk that my kids and I got to enjoy. The parking and ticketing process were smooth, the ride was smoother, and being dropped right into the Fruitvale neighborhood without having to worry about where to stash our car was very nice. All in all, a pleasant experience for all of us.



No comments: