Saturday, January 05, 2008

Shoo Shoo

When it comes to parenting, I've learned that "if at first you don't
succeed, try, try, try, try, try, try again." In other words, be
persistent. We've had to plumb the depths of this truism in getting
Jada to clean her room. Every morning, stuffed animals and books are
strewn all over the floor and bed; and every morning, we lead her back
into her room and ask her to "shoo shoo" (Taiwanese for "put away")
her stuffed animals and books.

When we first committed to forcing her to do this before she could do
anything else in the morning, I think I had to walk her back to her
room four times, and even then I would stay in there and help her put
things away. Then, it took three times, and then two times, and now
I'm happy to say that the last few mornings, I've led her back to her
room once, and when she returns to see me and we go back into her
room, everything's been put away. I, of course, lavish praise on her;
although I'm holding out for the day she decides to put everything
away and then come see me for the first time in the morning.

No comments: