Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Keeping Cool

Nighttime for Jada has been a bit of a disaster this week. Every
evening, she's in hysterics for anywhere from one to three hours after
we put her to bed. The demands may change - she needs a tissue, these
books have to be taken out of the room - but the result is the same:
her all wound up, and us too. So it's been easy to lose patience,
storm down there, and order Jada back into bed.

The other night, I decided to try a different tack. I knocked, walked
in, and guided her back into bed - all without saying a word or
breaking into any facial expression. Remarkably, she followed along,
and after I left the room, I didn't hear a peep. I had read somewhere
that this is how you deal with this kind of situation, but for several
nights in a row, I hadn't made the connection, boiling as I was. I
guess the experts are right every so often.

No comments: