Friday, July 06, 2007

Calm After the Storm

As I write, both my kids are sleeping.  And I couldn't be happier.  I often jokingly tell people, "I love my kids . . . especially when they're asleep."

Now, more so than usual.  This week's been a bit rough.  The honeymoon's definitely over for Jada, and we exacerbated things by deciding to transition her from her crib to a big girl bed.  Aaron's arrival has unsettled her carefully calibrated world, and now not having her home base has got her completely frazzled. 

As for Aaron, he caught a little cold, making him even fussier than usual.  Last night, he decided that waking up every three hours to scream at the top of his lungs wasn't enough, but rather that he would also stay up for an entire hour before going back to sleep.  How Amy makes it through the day with both of them when I leave the house for work in the morning, I don't know. 

But tonight was a bit of a calm after the storminess of this week.  Jada's acclimating to her big girl bed, and I think she had had a bit of a cold, too, so feeling better physically meant we got to see more of her usual spunky self.  And Aaron was feeling physically better, too, and even went down for the night peacefully and happily.

The sound of shrill cries and vigorous tantrums is still ringing in my ears.  And tonight could quite easily bring more fireworks.  But for now, it's nice to hear nothing but silence around the house. 

No comments: