Thursday, April 19, 2007

Trips to New York

To complete our adoption process for Aaron does not involve me or Amy
going to Taiwan, because my parents have graciously offered to stand
on our behalf before the court. Given that Amy and I both work and we
have a two-year-old, avoiding a 20+-hour flight is no small
consideration.

The trade-off is that in addition to the usual battery of adoption
paperwork, we also have to complete various forms that enable my
parents to act on our behalf. Essentially, the courts will allow my
parents to act in our stead, eventually releasing Aaron to their care
even though we're the ones adopting him.

So three times in the last 60 days, I've had to go up to New York to
get various forms certified by the Taiwanese consulate there, which
represents our part of the East Coast. It's a bit of an ordeal, since
I've already maxed out my vacation days and the one time Amy had to
come with me we had to make arrangements regarding Jada. (Amy's mom
was a willing sitter that day.)

Lest I grumble too much, I recall often that this is in lieu of going
all the way to Taiwan for several days. And, living in Philadelphia,
where there are literally two dozen different public transit ways to
get to New York, there could be a lot more painful excursions to make
three times in 60 days. Regardless, I think we're done going to New
York and I have no problem with that.

No comments: