Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Loves to Read . . . Out Loud

Amy and I love to read, and we try to read to Jada as much as possible to impart that love to her. So it's really heart-warming to see that she's taken to the books. In a room full of interesting toys, sometimes I'll turn the corner to check in on her and find her leafing through a book. Sometimes, when I get her up in the morning and read to her from the Bible, she'll scoot herself off my lap, grab a book, and "read" to me. (I love her "talking," because she has such confidence in what she's saying even though she's not really saying words.)

The other day, I had to get Jada off to bed a tick earlier than usual, because we were expecting a contractor. So after I laid her in her crib, I put a book in there with her. Sure enough, instead of standing up and peering over the railing, which she usually does when she's not sleepy enough to lie down right away, she sat down, turned her back to me, opened the book, and started to flip the pages.

Five minutes later, the contractor arrived. Because Jada's room is right next to the front door, when he arrived I asked him to step quietly into the house because Jada was in bed. We met in the kitchen and I had the monitor on, so very shortly we began to hear the sound of Jada "reading." The contractor said, "I thought you said she was sleeping," to which I replied, "No, I said she was in bed; she won't be sleeping for another ten or fifteen minutes." Sure enough, the reading died down, and eventually she drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, when I went in to get her, she had thrown everything out of the crib -- stuffed animals, pillows, blankets -- except for the book.

No comments: