Sunday, October 30, 2005

What Am I Going For

As an introvert, I'm not one to naturally verbalize my thoughts.  But they say talking to your baby is healthy, so I've been trying to be as chatty as possible when I'm taking care of Jada.  Sometimes it's conversing with her in sing-song tones, and sometimes it's narrating what I'm doing or what's going on around us.

 

But sometimes, I talk to her as if she can understand me.  I might read her from the paper or tell her stories or even lecture her as if I was counseling a teenager.  What am I going for when I tell her what Rosa Parks did or exhort her to value her body or explain how supply and demand works?  It's not really for her to learn, since she has no idea what I'm saying and won't for quite awhile. 

 

I guess what I'm going for is to get some practice in for when she does understand.  There's so much I want to tell her, and only so much time to tell her.  So I guess it's good that it'll be some time before she gets what I'm saying.  It'll give me time to practice what I want to say, and how I want to say it. 

No comments: